X100F vs XF 23mm f/1.4 - Is there something wrong with this X100F?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
borgein Contributing Member • Posts: 609
X100F vs XF 23mm f/1.4 - Is there something wrong with this X100F?

Hello

I'm currently testing a X100F, and I also have an X-T2 and a XF23mm f/1.4 lens which I've owned for a long time. In the last week, while using the X100F, I started noticing in some pictures that the images are noticeably softer on the sides (both sides and corners). I then just ran out and did a quick test against the local brick wall with the X100F and X-T20 with the 23/1.4, both at ISO 800, f/5.6 and 1/125 shutter speed, and the images were taken within 5 seconds. Both cameras were in the same position (more or less), but due to the slight difference in effective focal length, plus the X100F's distortion, the images aren't completely identical.

Regardless of technical perfection, there is a huge and clear difference between how the X100F and XF 23mm f/1.4 performs at f/5.6. I've owned the X100T previously, and never really noticed anything like this on it... Then again, maybe the 24 megapixel sensor of the X100F shows more of the shortcomings on the X100-series lens.

Anyway, I've attached several screen shots of my comparison in Lightroom, and also attached full resolution jpeg's that has been exported from Lightroom. Default LR sharpening settings were applied on both images, so there aren't any processing done to these images, except I had to boost the exposure by +1 on both to make the image slightly brighter.

Has anyone else done a similar comparison?
The X100F actually seems a bit sharper in the center, but in the outer zones of the image the images completely fall apart.

Zoomed out

Center 100%

Left Center

Left Bottom Corner

Left Upper Corner

Right Center

Right Bottom Corner

Right Upper Corner

Full resolution jpeg's can be downloaded from these links:

XF 23mm1.4 R http://indergaard.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/XF23_1_4.jpg
X100F: http://indergaard.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/X100F.jpg

-- hide signature --
 borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow