Pictures from Swedish Lapland

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 1,769
Pictures from Swedish Lapland

I'm usually hiking with company, but this time I went alone to the Kebnekaise area. This is a very popular place for hiking and rather crowded, at least by Lapland standards. But you can still find solitude if you leave the tracks.
I brought more gear than usual this time. One E-M1 body with Oly 9-18, Pana 14-45 (it's every bit as sharp as my 12-40/2.8 and it shares filter size with the 9-18), Oly 40-150/4-5.6 (the old FT version, works very well with tubes and diopters for close ups of flowers) and finally my new Oly 300/4 for the birds. I also brought a cheap and lightweight tripod for long exposures. With three spare batteries and some other accessories I ended up with almost 6 kg camera gear. The total weight of my backpack with tent, food etc was 23 kg when I started. Luckily, you don't need to bring water. You can drink straight from the streams.
The landscape is arctic. Gentle and almost pastoral in nice weather. Quite harsh in poor weather. I experienced both extremes this time.

Here are som images in more or less random order.

Did I say harsh?

Yeah, that's me sitting next to the waterfall.

This waterfall didn't look like much in real life but it turned out nice with a long exposure.

The power of water.

Mountain avens (Dryas octopetala)

Pearls on the mountain slope. Or, if you prefer, bog-rosemary (Andromeda polifolia)

Blue heath (Phyllodoce caerulea). The beautiful flowers are everywhere.

Blue heath up close.

I had to cross this rather steep snow field to get up to a mountain top. My 66 years old legs were shivering because I was afraid that it might be difficult to get down again. Then I met two young women on their way down. They were chatting all the time and had no worries at all.

After the snow field, I was rewarded with a dotterel. It was a male, taking care of newly hatched kids. Female dotterel travel south as soon as the eggs are laid.

Moss campion (Silene acaulis), very common at relatively high altitudes.

The Kebnekaise massif, viewed from a mountain top south of the valley. This image was made from 9 handheld shots, taken in portrait mod and stitched together with PTGui. You absolutely need to click on original size. The image itself is nothing special, but the detail is amazing, even in this downsized version.

My little tent is glowing in the evening sun.

Spalding's cathfly (Silene uralensis), an odd and rather uncommon plant without visible petals,

My favourite light with a weak sun coming through heavu clouds.

On my way back I met a pair of bluethroats with food for their nestlings. This is the male.

The female is more dull, but she was posing nicely. I couldn't stay long, unfortuanately, because it was obvious that the birds were disturbed by my presence.

Regards
Lasse

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow