Nikkor 28-70mm 2.8 squeaks -- big deal, or not?

Started Jul 16, 2017 | Discussions thread
mgblack74 Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: Nikkor 28-70mm 2.8 squeaks -- big deal, or not?

Alex Ethridge wrote:

mostlylost wrote:

This was a first generation Nikon professional lens having a focus motor inside the lens rather than in the camera body. They have been out of production for a decade and a replacement motor, should one be required, is not available from Nikon. While a motor might be available from an outside repair house or APS I wouldn't count on it. Somebody might also have a parts lens with a good motor, but I wouldn't count on that either.

The squeak is frequently associated with the motor. It is sometimes, but not always, an indication of a future motor failure. Many report that their lens has squeaked for years and still works fine.

Many report that the squeak is annoying when using the lens and others don't particularly care.

This a condition that may also occur with other lenses.

Personally, I like this lens and would purchase one in excellent condition if it were available at a good price. It is big and heavy and I like it anyway :). It is not considered state of the art any longer, but was a big deal until better designs emerged.

Google nikon 28 - 70 f2.8 squeak and you'll get a boatload of hits.

You mentioned "first generation", by that do you mean all 28-70mm or was there more than one generation of the 28-70-mm.

It may sound like an ignorant question; but, I just don't know about these things.

The 28-70 was the first Nikon lens to have AFS.... silent AF. It's the first generation of AFS.

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow