Disney World Advice

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RichJD13 New Member • Posts: 18
Disney World Advice

Ok y'all I know we've seen similar questions asked before, but this one is mine. So indulge me a bit.

Situation:

1) Current gear: Canon 80D, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8, Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6 MK II, 1.4x MK III extender.

2) Current family: wife, 6 year old boy, 4 year old girl and 1 year old girl.

Mission: Take the family to Disney World in February and get great photos of the park and family without leaving a kid behind to make room for lenses.

Concept: This lens will be my walking around lens that'll allow me to corral a 1.5 year old child, carry a passed out 5 year old girl, ride rides, etc. I will have one other lens in the pack, like the 18-35 f/1.8 for night time stuff, or the 100-400 for animal kingdom. This lens will be the workhorse. Upon return to home the lens will serve as a utility lens so my wife can operate the camera without complaining about how I buy heavy lenses. I will use the lens as the "grab the camera, something awesome is gonna happen but I don't know what" lens. It'll probably get used a lot.

Requirements:

1) Light lens that my wife won't complain about using or carrying. (The Sigma 18-35mm is probably too big/heavy for her likes, imagine balancing a squirming 1.5 year old on a hip and shooting with the available 1.5 hands)

2) Image stabilization is a plus, maybe a must. (imagine balancing a squirming 1.5 year old on a hip and shooting with the available 1.5 hands... this'll be a recurring theme)

3) Image quality must be good. The gooder the better. I don't want to spend a million dollars on a trip to Disney and return with fuzzy documentation. I also don't have much left to buy a lens with. I've spent a third-world country's GDP on glass so far for good image quality. I don't want to spend much more, but I do need another lens... so image quality is desirable.

4) Weather proofing desired, but not required. They make plastic bags for that... right?

5) Wide enough to capture the magic on a 1.6 crop, narrow enough to take pictures of the cutest kids ever made.

6) Fast glass is always great. Especially for kids. And darkness. And night time. Not for wallets. Something has to give. Second job perhaps? It's also heavy. Perhaps fastish glass is greater.

7) I will be able to augment with one other lens, but this will be my "walking around" lens. I don't want to have 4 lenses in my pack. I'll likely be carrying; 5 waters, 3 juices, a milk, snacks, and trinkets and listening to wife complain that she's carrying too much.

End State: Return from Disney with amazingly awesome photos of the world's cutest kids and have a lens that'll serve me for years to come as a general purpose lens.

Considered Lenses:

1) Sigma 24-105 f/4 - Art

2) Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 - Contemporary

3) Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8

4) Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 - Art (drool... waiting on reviews, too heavy probably)

5) ? You name it.

Budget: Less is more. I could top out around the $1,200 Sigma, but would prefer less...

Ok, so what insight do you have?

Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow