Sirui K-40X arca-style Plate not holding

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cerebral Knievel
Cerebral Knievel Regular Member • Posts: 111
Sirui K-40X arca-style Plate not holding

Morning all

So, has anyone else experienced this?  I have a fairly new (month old) Sirui tripod and k40x ball head.  Overall, I love the combination, with one tremendous problem: the plate screw tightens down to a point at which it should be rock solid, yet it isn't.

If I'm shooting in vertical/portrait orientation, with a tamron 15-30 lens on there, the camera actuslly begins to pivot down slightly.  It's doing so against the plate (the ball head itself remains secure) as I can see the plate angling out from its straight orientation .  after noticing this, I began playing with it.  I can literally tighten it down as firmly as anyone could and still (with some mild effort) turn the plate.

I have a manfrotto 055 and its stock ball head, and that problem doesn't exist with that plate at all, so I don't believe this is an issue with the threads in my camera.

I contacted Sirui, and Max from.customer service promptly sent me a replacement screw, but there was no difference - the plate doesn't lock down effectively.

Am I seriously the only one using this ball head who hasn't observed this issue?  I googled extensively and found nothing.  Very odd...

-- hide signature --

www.philippenewman.com

Cerebral Knievel's gear list:Cerebral Knievel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow