Lighting the Olympus 30mm macro?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveY80 Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Lighting the Olympus 30mm macro?

I bought a cheap 30mm Olympus macro a while back - a good lens but one I'm finding very challenging to use. Approaching 1:1 magnification I'm generally casting a shadow over the subject and I haven't been able to figure out any way of artificially lighting macro subjects when the working distance is so short.

Ring flashes or LED lighting don't give me results I'm happy with, and I don't want anything big and bulky - that would negate my main reason for getting the lens (having a small macro I can throw in my kit).

The nearest I've come to a solution is using a LumiQuest Pocket Bouncer to direct light from a hotshoe flash onto the subject. That works to (at most) about 1:2 magnification, but closer than that much of the light falls behind the subject.

As you can see, the lighting is quite harsh, and any more magnification than that would leave the near side of those subjects entirely in shadow.

Pretty much every time I've gone out with the 30mm I've only used it a few times before giving up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow