New Firmware for A7ii

Started Jun 9, 2017 | Discussions thread
sharkmelley
sharkmelley Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
A7ii is NOT affected at 4sec non-bulb

VLreviews wrote:

I took a leap of faith yesterday and updated my A7II from 2.0 to 3.3 and 4.0. I made two dark frames at 3.2 s and 4 s for Mark (sharkmelley) on each firmware and he confirmed that neither one is affected by the star eater issue - thanks, Mark! I didn't test bulb-mode (>30 s), but the issue will most likely be present there. Just like on any recent Sony camera.

While waiting for Mark's results, I also took two quick snaps of the night sky using firmware 4.0 and processed them from RAW without luminance NR. Below are two center crops. To me, they look identical within the margin of error. This confirms Mark's finding that the A7II seems to be unaffected by the star eater NR algorithm during non-bulb exposures.

Well done for taking that risk and thanks for sending me the files for analysis.

So it is only the A7Rii and the A7Sii that suffer star eater for non-bulb exposures of 4seconds and more. The A7ii is unaffected for non-bulb exposures.

Mark

sharkmelley's gear list:sharkmelley's gear list
Sony a7S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow