Am I missing something by not using the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens?

Started Jul 12, 2017 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kristada673
Kristada673 Forum Member • Posts: 95
Am I missing something by not using the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens?

The was the first lens I bought (brand new for about $100) when I got into photography exactly 1 year ago, as everyone kept saying this is a must have lens. But 1 year down the line, I have rarely found myself using it. The main reason is its not sharp at f/1.8, and I need to stop down to f/2.2 to start getting sharp images. Even when I forced myself to use it (by not bringing any of my other lenses to streets, concerts, etc), I was kinda disappointed in its lack of versatility and/or usage. For example, I brought it to a concert as I thought f/1.8 would help in the darkness. But I had to stop down to f/2.2, like I said above to get sharp images, so what's the use of having f/1.8 then? It was also too long (where I am generally in the first 5 rows), so had to go back a couple of rows to get the artists' faces in frame. Then, when I took it to streets, it was either too short or too long in some situations. This is not a negative of the lens per se, as you know when buying it that you're getting a fixed focal length lens. But, its just that, my 24-70mm f/2.8 lens' focal range covers that use case. So, I think I should sell it for $60-70, and use the cash to get myself a flash or some other accessory. But before that, I want to make sure that I am not making a mistake by selling it. Is there something I am missing out on with this extremely popular lens? In case it matters, I shoot mostly the following: landscapes (for which I use my 24-70mm lens at the wide end), wildlife (for which I use my 70-300mm lens, but will upgrade to a longer lens soon), macro (for which I use my 150mm macro lens), and occasional portraits (for which I use my 24-70mm and the 150mm lenses).

-- hide signature --

Happy shooting

Kristada673's gear list:Kristada673's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow