Photographer on a non-photography focused safari - advice?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP brockmo Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Photographer on a non-photography focused safari - advice?

Thanks to all for advice and posting excellent examples of Namibia photography.

PSCL1 wrote:

To the OP: Don't bother with the 70-200; instead get a second DX body in case you get sand in one camera.

I don't understand this. You're the 3rd or so person to discourage bringing a 70-200mm. Why no love for this focal range as a travel and landscape zoom. I can see why when on a game drive, if that's what you meant. Sure, there's overlap with 80-400mm on FF , less on DX body, but for non-wildlife or low light situations (both plentiful opportunities in Namibia) or when best shrpness and IQ are desired over reach, it offers a clear advantage. No?

PS: I've traveled dusty and desert environments many times, including trekking the great dunes of the Gobi, so I'm very careful with equipment. Of course accidents do happen despite best of care. I don't have room for a 3rd body. Sticking with 1FF and 1DX.

brockmo's gear list:brockmo's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow