Dual System shooter again

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
OP John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,730
Re: Dual System shooter again

CBR1100XX wrote:

Reading that post my first question is what uses is the A9 going to be used for? Maybe I missed it but the only specific example I saw was the the Olympus would be used for hiking or when you want something smaller... but there were no specifics on what your main type of shooting is. I'm assuming it's action photography based on your choice of the A9 but your only portfolio is of landscapes. What those types of action photos are, what the final output will be, and if they're for clients would all give a better idea of your situation as well as your current thoughts on how you'd split up the workflow.

But I can give some general thoughts on it. Since you seem to like primes I would (and did) move in that direction but with the smaller f1.8 lenses. m4/3 for me is the system I use when I want a quality image but don't require all the technical abilities of my DSLRs. So with that in mind I bought lenses with size, quality, and price all being concerns since this is a secondary system to me and m4/3 has a lot of great options. So much so that they have been used in more and more gigs. The other nice thing is that those lenses can be had for cheap used, and they're so small that carrying a multi lens kit isn't much of a burden. My Tamron 70-300VC which isn't even that large of a FF lens won't fit in the bag that I carry 2 OM-D bodies and 5 lenses. That's the strength of m4/3 and when you have the absolute in image quality covered by another system it let's you really go all out in making a still high quality but relatively tiny kit.

I do a lot of night photography and landscapes which was easy on the Canon side and always a challenge by comparison on the Olympus side though the differences lesson with each sensor generation.  I have not really done it since I went all in with Olympus.  Now I'm playing with the 12-24 and A9 and looking at the 18 f2.8 Batis to get back into that game again.

I'm on a trip right now where I'll be doing some evaluations of the night photography capability with the A9.   I'm assuming that at some point an A9r (70mp?) will come out to replace the long in the tooth A7 series for those that want the AF and ergonomics but are happy to trade FPS for resolution.

I was going to do a 12mm f2 hi rez shot mode panoramic today on this trip on the EM1 but somehow all the components of my nodal ninja setup didn't get back in the nodal ninja carrying case.  I was looking for an interesting comparison of using super resolution pp with the a9 on a single 12mm shot with the 12-24 f4 compared to stitching the more traditional way with Olympus 12mm f2 shots to redo a pano I did back in 2001 (with Canon D60 and 24 1.2 L (mk1).  But, at this point I don't get to play that way on this trip
In any case, I see nothing in the Sony side to match the 12-100 F4 on the Olympus side which makes the EM1 the perfect light do almost it all travel combo.
Playing with eye AF on the Sony side, my Oly primes for portraits (well, one is the Panasonic 42.5 1.2) are gone.  That's a scary amazing feature.   The Olympus version of the same feature is not in the same league yet.  (and it wasn't with the prior Sony cameras either)

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow