Dual System shooter again

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
OP John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 5,730
Re: Dual System shooter again

CBR1100XX wrote:The question I'd ask about the 1.2's is that with them how much smaller is your E-M1 vs a A9 with say a 1.8 (or 1.4)? If it would have you bring it to places where you'd leave the A9 at home then it's probably a keeper. If it's not then that's a bit more complicated.

I'm finding it depends on the lens combination.  The 55 1.8 on the A9 is not much different than the EM1 with the 25 1.2 to the point where I'd always grab the A9 and have even thiner DOF on the A9.  I've not weighed these, but that was my impression at the store.
I did weigh the Em1 MK2 with 7-14 f2.8 compared to the A9 12-14 and the A9 combo is just 10 percent more weight.
The EM1 with 12-40 f2.8 is way smaller and lighter than the A9 with 24-70 f2.8 gm, but the lens to compare it to would be the 24-70 F4 on the Sony but the reviews of any of the other standard zooms show some real issues compared to the EM1 solution in terms of sample to sample consistency and clarity to the edges wide open.
If a good FE 12-70 F4 could be had, then the EM1 would have less reason to exist in the current kits.
But once you go long the EM1 advantage returns.

I can't comment on the quality of Sony lenses so that's another thing to look into and in either case with such a big decision I'd rent the Sony lens and try them out. It's not too expensive and will tell you more than a hundred forum posts could.

Mixed bag, depends on the lens.  The lack of consistent good lenses and the fact I didn't like the earlier A7 bodies, was one of the reasons I didn't consider sony till recently.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA
http://finestimages.zenfolio.com

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow