Photographer on a non-photography focused safari - advice?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brockmo Forum Member • Posts: 53
Photographer on a non-photography focused safari - advice?

First, I use the word "photographer" loosely since I'm by no means an expert but advanced enough to distinguish myself from majority of regular tourists.

Here's where I need advice: in a few months my wife and I will go on 12 day trip to Namibia along with 4-6 others. This is a part game safari, part cultural, part scenery/hiking trip offering a taste of Namibia's diverse offerings.

I plan on a 2 camera, 3 lens Nikon kit: D750 for 24-70, 70-200 and renting a D500 with the newer 80-400, which is about the same size as the 70-200 f2.8. If room allows, I have a 20mm. Tripod/monopod combo is MeFOTO Globetrotter, folds to 16". Taking a Lowepro backpack for all gear.

Around camp/lodges, villages, landscape, hiking, or any situation where I can separate myself  a bit from the main group is not a problem. What potentially will be are the game drives where we'll all be confined in the vehicle. I've emailed the lodges where we'll stay to get some info on the type of vehicles they use, number it can accommodate, etc. I assume that the rest of group may not be particularly photographically inclined (it would be nice is at least afew will). In any case, as you can see from my planned gear there is nothing extraordinary, such as an exotic TF or really huge zoom. Depending on vehicle type I'm prepared with either the monopod or bean bag.

Have any of you been in a safari situation with majority nonphotographers? Any problems I should anticipate? I am very considerate of others and will do my best to not be the PITA  guy in the group

(I've also inquired if it's possible to hire a private game run at least for one early AM or late PM session in case that group circumstances prove too difficult). Thanks.

brockmo's gear list:brockmo's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow