X-T2 and X-T20 Autofocus issues causing high rate of blurry and out-of-focus shots with wide angel l

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ketil R Junior Member • Posts: 28
X-T2 and X-T20 Autofocus issues causing high rate of blurry and out-of-focus shots with wide angel l

This is an attempt to make a summary from the following threads regarding autofocus issues with the Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T20 models: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59563311 , https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59498723

These treads are currently hard to follow due to the number of posts.

This post will hopefully illustrate the autofocus issue. By getting feedback from users having the X-T2 or X-T20, it should be possible to see if it is likely that a only limited number of cameras are affected or if it is a more general issue with X-T2 and X-T20 models. As this autofocus issue is dependent of the lenses used, more cameras can be affected than the limited number of reports of the issue so far indicate. Posts like https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59704664 could indicate that the issue is a more general issue for the X-T2. My post contains also an illustration of the issue (on X-T20)

Camera modes affected:

Only the Fujifilm models X-T2 and X-T20 are affected.

First report of an autofocus issue with X-T2 came in November 2016. Reports of similar autofocus issues with X-20 came only a couple of month after the X-T20 was released during spring 2017.

The autofocus issue is related to taking pictures of stationary subjects in AF-S mode. The issue is dependent of the lens used, as it occur with some lenses and don’t seem to occur with other lenses.

The issue seems to occur randomly. The autofocus will statistically in most cases provide pictures which are in focus. Users have reported that up to 30% of their pictures could be out of focus with some lenses. The reports so far indicate that the issue occur with wide angel lenses and zoom lenses used in the wide angel range, e.g. the XF18-55 and the XF18-135, particular at 18 mm. Personally I see the issue very often with the XF10-24 and the XF23 2.0. lenses, not so often with the XF27 2.8. I have not seen the issue the XF18-55 above 35 mm nor with the tele zoom lens XF55-200. The autofocus seems to work at it should with my X-T20 and the XC16-50 lens. Please comment or provide additional information

Description of the issue:
A description of the issue on the X-T2 from this forum “What will happen is that I will press halfway on the shutter release and get focus confirmation (green focus point box and green dot in lower left corner of the viewfinder). However, the image that I see in the viewfinder is clearly not in focus. Further, it's not just the point of focus that's off, but the entire view, almost as if the camera were focusing and then stopped just before achieving it”

I could document a similar autofocus issue with X-T20 in this post. A case as described above is possible to see before you take a picture if distance scale in the EVF is activated. The camera will such cases present a distance to the subject which are not reasonable. The distance scale will not present the exact distance to the subject, but an unreasonable distance is a clear indication of the possiblity of an out of focus picture. By having the distance scale visible and checking the distance before you take a picture, you might avoid getting pictures of out focus. It you re-focus a couple of times, the camera will a present a reasonable distance and you will likely get a picture in focus.

The X-T20 camera used during the following test has been checked by Fuji as it was sent to repair due to this autofocus problem. Fuji has found the autofocus to be within their specification. Based on the that the camera should be considered as not defective. Both the XF 18-55 lens used and the camera have the latest firmware versions.

The X-T20 was during the following test mounted on a tripod with the XF18-55 at 18 mm. 4 pictures where taken of the same subject within a period of 50 seconds . Similar lightning conditions apply (f5.6/800/ISO 200).

2 of the pictures are in focus and 2 pictures are not in focus. This is clearly seen when comparing the pictures in 1:1 resolution.

Camera was set in AF-S mode, AF priority set to Focus. AF beep – On to be 100% sure that the camera had focus.

The only user operation between the shots is pressing the shutter button and changing AF-area from single point to zone after picture no 2.

The subject focused on is appr. 50 meters (150 feet) away. I have included pictures of the LCD-screen presenting the distance on the distance scale of the camera.

Picture 1 Single point focus area, reasonable AF distance <10m>, sharp picture

Picture 1 -  LCD screen:

Picture 1 - Jpg (sharp):

Picture 2 Single point focus area, unreasonable AF distance 1.4 m, and blurry picture

Picture 2 - LCD screen:

Picture 2 - jpg (blurry):

Picture 3 Zone focus area, reasonable AF distance <8 m>, sharp picture

Picture 3 - LCD screen:

Picture 3 - jpg (sharp):

Picture 4 Zone focus area, unreasonable AF distance 1.2 m, blurry picture

Picture 4 - LCD screen:

Picture 4 - jpg (blurry):

“The defective lens theory”

I can illustrate the described autofocus issue with 4 different Fujifilm XF lenses. (All of them have the latest version of firmware). A have performed similar test with these lenses and my X-T10 without seeing any AF issues. I have also taken several thousand pictures with the X-E1 and X-T10 without being annoyed by out of focus pictures. Based on this, it is not likely that the issue is related to defective lenses nor an incompetent user. (Actually what skills should be needed to get in-focus pictures of non moving subject with wide angel lenses under good lightning conditions ?)

Based on the response in the discussions I have tried different camera setup without any change in the AF behavior.

How to perform a quick test to see if your X-T2 or X-T20 has “the issue”

I hope that you will take the required time to read this post thoroughly and if needed check the other threads related to the autofocus issue, before sending posts indicating that you don’t think this can be a camera related issue based on your general opinion of autofocus with Fuji cameras and inexperienced users.

I would appreciate to get corrections from owners of X-T2 and X-T20 that believe they have a camera with this issue to improve the description of the issue and to get more information related to the lenses you experience problems with.

It would also be very nice if owners of X-T2 and X-T20 which so far has not seen this issue, performed a quick test. The test takes only a couple of minutes:

Activate the distance scale presentation in EVF  in your camera (Camera setup. “Disp. Custom Setting – AF Distance indicator – ON”)

Use a wide angel lens as a 23 mm or kit zoom lens e.g the XF18-55 at 18 mm. Set the camera in AF-S mode.  Find a subject in a distance of 10 – 50 meters (30 – 150 feet) away. Use Zone mode (or single) and compose the picture so it is likely that camera should be able to focus properly. Press the shutter button halfways, read the distance scale and continue to do so until you see an unreasonable distance value on the distance scale. Some variation is normal between each time the camera focus. You could also turn the camera on/off and recompose and perform new tests. I will normally see the “issue” after 10-20 focus attempts. If you think you see “the issue”, take a picture and compare it later with a picture you expect have correct focus.

If we get reports from X-T2 and X-T20 owners stating that they don’t find this issue, it clearly indicates that problem is related to a number of “defective” cameras. This will help owners of “defective” cameras. If the issue is more widespread, Fuji must put effort in correcting the issue and release a new version of firmware as soon as possible. (The X-T20 was introduced spring 2017 and got its first firmware upgrade in May 2017.)

-- hide signature --

Ketil R.

Ketil R's gear list:Ketil R's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a77 II Fujifilm X-T10 +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow