6D MKII Disapointing Focus Points Spread

Started Jun 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
Le Kilt Senior Member • Posts: 2,488
5D bodies excellent

dpr4bb wrote:

Lawn Lends wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

sssanti wrote:

The dprewiew video: https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4599793823/video-first-look-at-the-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii shows the 6D2 focus points very close to the center of the frame. Scaling an image from this video and comparing to images of the 6D viewfinder, I get the conclusion that the spread of the focus points in the new 6D2 (12.5 mm) is narrower than in the original 6D (14.5 mm).

6D2

6D

Having 45 focus points clustered in the middle of the frame is less useful than having less points, but with a wider spread. Canon must be using the same autofocus module as in the rebels and 80D. Both the spread and the size of the markers is too small for a full frame camera.

Is Canon expecting 6D users to crop all photos with off-center compositions? Was it that expensive to increase the focus points spread to cover more of the full frame sensor?

Reusing the autofocus module from Rebels and the 80D is a very poor design choice.

The one glaring shortcoming of the 6D remains unsolved with the 6DII. If you don't want to focus and recompose constantly, you have to carry the big heavy brick that is the 5DIV. Pathetic...

Ya gotta spend another $1,000 if you want to stay with Canon and not focus and recompose. This is no accident.

I don't have a problem with paying more to get more, but I have a problem with being forced into carrying an unnecessarily large and unwieldy body because of crass gamesmanship.

Yes, it's not an accident. It's the result of a modus operandi that tries to annoy customers into buying the largest and heaviest DSLR possible. That's the only monetization play they have.

Yet curiously I find all the 5D series perfect in size, they fit my hand like a glove, whatever the lens attached.  I have never heard a 5D series user complain about their size, these bodies are made for photographers who priviledge ergonomics to compactness.

Le Kilt's gear list:Le Kilt's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow