If your camera asks anything about PAL format, choose Cancel! Expect DATALOSS otherwise.

Started Jul 1, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,307
If your camera asks anything about PAL format, choose Cancel! Expect DATALOSS otherwise.

If you ever see this screen:

Choose Cancel.

This text does not mean "Change format to PAL?", but actually means "Format SD card? This will irreversibly erase all files and cannot be undone by any file recovery software."

Make sure to copy all files on the card to your PC before accepting, otherwise you'll never see the files again. For some reason the camera performs low level format that prevents any file recovery later on.

It's the second time this happens to me. This time with the A77-II, but previously it happened with the A6000. I think it happens when a card is moved from one camera to another, but there may be other scenarios. I'm cross-posting this to both forums to increase the chance that people who may encounter this message know about the risk and don't experience the same dataloss I did.

Good luck!

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow