What Canon tech support told me

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,248
Re: What Canon tech support told me

skyglider wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

.... snip ....

I generally don't trust what people on the phones say...these people are handing customers via the phone...they didn't design the printer and likely are only repeating what someone told them.

soloryb wrote:

I've owned several Canon printers and have had many occasions to call their tech support. Your experience with a less than knowledgeable tech is par for the course - matching my own experiences. With Canon tech support, it's sometimes a crapshoot as to whether or not the information given is truly accurate. I often call Canon tech a second time to speak with a different rep. This sometimes leads to a different answer from the first rep I contacted.

Hi Roger and soloryb,

I agree that trusting tech support phone answers can be a crap shoot, unless the answer fixes a problem on the spot where results are immediately obvious.

Regarding the Canon tech that I talked to saying that a TS9020 auto head cleaning uses less ink than a nozzle check printout, I'm really wondering if he might actually be correct.

For example, for the typical Epson nozzle check printouts that I've seen, it looks like it uses very little ink as shown below (Only the upper half is the nozzle check. The lower half is just an example of a bad nozzle check.)

Image from the epson website.

The Epson nozzle check printout uses very little ink. On the other hand, the nozzle check for my TS9020 looks like the following:

image from the canon website

The nozzle check printout for the TS9020 printer does use a LOT more ink than the one for the Epson printer. Maybe an auto head cleaning for the TS9020 does use less ink than a nozzle check.

I think I'm going to go with what the tech said and just leave my TS9020 in sleep mode with its auto head cleanings and see how much ink is used up. I only make prints now and then, like a few 5x7's or 8x10's after a trip or event. I have the bulk of the prints made in 6x4 at Walgreens since 6x4's on sale are cheaper than me printing them. Occasionally my wife requests a couple of prints which I'll print. In summary, there can be long periods without my printing anything.

What I'm going to try is to print a nozzle check in 1 week, then 2 weeks apart, then 3 weeks apart, then 4 weeks apart. If the nozzle checks are still perfect at 4 week intervals, then I'll do one nozzle check printout monthly, and rely on the auto head cleanings to prevent head clogs.

I will do a nozzle check prior to making any prints and especially before any 8x10 inch prints, to not waste photo paper or OEM ink.

Trying to figure out a good schedule,
Sky

Sky,

I currently own a Canon ipf6400 and a Pro-1000.

More than one of Canon's techs (and my own experience) have told me that nozzle checks should be done periodically - if for nothing else than to keep ink flowing through the head(s) if the user is not printing daily. And, light head cleaning should be done when indicated by a bad nozzle check. For the ipf6400, a service mode nozzle1 check can be done and will indicate the actual condition of each individual nozzle (normal mode nozzle checks do not really tell you the true condition of the nozzles on the ipf6400). For the Pro-1000, I'm not really sure how the nozzle checks and auto cleaning work, but I still do a nozzle check a few times a week - especially when not regularly printing.

I'm fairly sure that any head cleaning (A or B) on the ipf6400 uses more ink than a nozzle check. However, on the Pro-1000, I see a lot of print optimizer being used up on a nozzle check compared to the other inks.

In any case, all these printers need to be used frequently to prevent nozzle clogging from ruling your life. If a printer is not used almost daily, then a nozzle check is cheap insurance against almost inevitable clogging issues.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow