6D MKII Disapointing Focus Points Spread

Started Jun 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,903
Re: 6D MKII Disapointing Focus Points Spread

sssanti wrote:

The dprewiew video: https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4599793823/video-first-look-at-the-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii shows the 6D2 focus points very close to the center of the frame. Scaling an image from this video and comparing to images of the 6D viewfinder, I get the conclusion that the spread of the focus points in the new 6D2 (12.5 mm) is narrower than in the original 6D (14.5 mm).

6D2

6D

Having 45 focus points clustered in the middle of the frame is less useful than having less points, but with a wider spread. Canon must be using the same autofocus module as in the rebels and 80D. Both the spread and the size of the markers is too small for a full frame camera.

Is Canon expecting 6D users to crop all photos with off-center compositions? Was it that expensive to increase the focus points spread to cover more of the full frame sensor?

Reusing the autofocus module from Rebels and the 80D is a very poor design choice.

Here is an overlay of 6D and 6DII. Collected from net, so there maybe an error, but I think this is pretty close. 6D is red and other colors are 6DII.

So, it appears that horizontally there are two points in 6D outside 6DII forcus area. But as you can see there are more focus points in 6DII for you to compose. For example you can use the point is right upper and lower or left upper and lower with 6DII, but there is nothing corresponding in 6D. Moreover those two 6D focus points outside 6D II focus area would be pretty much useless for most things if you want off center focusing. So, as far as the spread goes 6DII should be significantly better than 6D. And also consider that all 6D II points are cross type.

5DIV has one row of extra points outside 6DII focus area. Useful, but not earth shattering.

I read all the comments here. It seems that when we are talking about focus and recompose we are talking about focusing with center point and then moving the camera. With all cross type points you don't need to do that. You can use one of the out points and move the camera slightly.

If you are shooting macro you are most likely to use manual focusing. If you use AF you can use one of the our points and crop slightly. Or you can use live view. With articulating screen live view should be so much easier.

You can do the same with other subjects such as nearest eye in a portrait.

Here is what I do in most situations. I shoot with center focus point and move the point slightly off center by cropping. The reason I use center point is because it is the sharpest while using wide aperture (any aperture for that matter, but important in wide aperture). With so much resolution in hand little bit of cropping is never an issue and the result is always better than using one of the peripheral points.

So, as far as the the AF is concerned, 6DII should be far better than 6D and nearly as good as anything else.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow