6D MKII Disapointing Focus Points Spread

Started Jun 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413
Re: Same

sssanti wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

sssanti wrote:

The dprewiew video: https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4599793823/video-first-look-at-the-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii shows the 6D2 focus points very close to the center of the frame. Scaling an image from this video and comparing to images of the 6D viewfinder, I get the conclusion that the spread of the focus points in the new 6D2 (12.5 mm) is narrower than in the original 6D (14.5 mm).

6D2

6D

Having 45 focus points clustered in the middle of the frame is less useful than having less points, but with a wider spread. Canon must be using the same autofocus module as in the rebels and 80D. Both the spread and the size of the markers is too small for a full frame camera.

Is Canon expecting 6D users to crop all photos with off-center compositions? Was it that expensive to increase the focus points spread to cover more of the full frame sensor?

Reusing the autofocus module from Rebels and the 80D is a very poor design choice.

I think your scaling isn't right. The AF Array spread seems to actually be near Identical from what I have seen.

I would be glad if I am wrong. Can you explain why you think the spread is the same?

Don't forget that the boxes are just boxes and don't actually represent the AF array true coverage.

My scaling is to the center of the focus points, not to the edges of the boxes

Total FoV of the new PDAF array is likely significantly increased in area over the older unit...and near same in terms of vertical/horizontal dimensions.

My impression is that is about the same. When I read that the 6D2 would have 45 points, I was hoping it would be better.

Limiting factor is really mirror box/flange distance/dimensions and how it relates to the FF image circle.

I understand that the spread in FF cameras is typically narrower than in crop cameras. However, the spread in the 6D2 is far from what it is possible.

Not every AF module will have the same size. If you make an extra wide AF module like in the 5D mk IV or the 1D-X mk II, the AF module will grow not only in width, but also in depth. This will mean that the camera will need to grow in size too. Notice how the 5D mk IV has more room under the camera mount.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow