6D MKII Disapointing Focus Points Spread

Started Jun 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP sssanti Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: Really?

brightcolours wrote:

sssanti wrote:

The dprewiew video: https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4599793823/video-first-look-at-the-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii shows the 6D2 focus points very close to the center of the frame. Scaling an image from this video and comparing to images of the 6D viewfinder, I get the conclusion that the spread of the focus points in the new 6D2 (12.5 mm) is narrower than in the original 6D (14.5 mm).

Wait, you cry over 1 mm difference of the marking of the outer AF point? Which is a whole 2.77% of the image width? Not even taking into account that the 6D mk II shows a bit more of the frame than the 6D does, so your half mm measurements are even less accurate, favouring the 6D?

I did not cry. I just wrote a post. I was hoping the spread was larger. It would be useful to me. I did consider the difference in coverage, which is small.

6D

Having 45 focus points clustered in the middle of the frame is less useful than having less points, but with a wider spread.

Be serious now.

I was. I was writing my opinion. Your opinion may be different and also serious.

Canon must be using the same autofocus module as in the rebels and 80D. Both the spread and the size of the markers is too small for a full frame camera.

APS-C and FF cameras have the same usable size for DP AF sensors due to dimension constraints (the submirror has its limits for instance). It has always been this way.

Yes, but there is a significant range of spread in both crop and full frame cameras. It is possible to have more spread than the 6D2 seems to have.

Is Canon expecting 6D users to crop all photos with off-center compositions? Was it that expensive to increase the focus points spread to cover more of the full frame sensor?

Reusing the autofocus module from Rebels and the 80D is a very poor design choice.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow