Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash user experience + diffusers

Started Jun 29, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,534
Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash user experience + diffusers

I've had the Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash for about a month and a half now. I had the Canon MT24EX since about 2007-8, but it stopped working the other years, and I got it back from the official Canon repair agents saying too uneconomical to repair. In fact the basic service charge I was quoted for the repair without any parts was more expensive than the Yongnuou YN24EX cost new. I've long thought that electronic flashes were grossly overpriced. A flash contains fairly standard electronic components in a cheap plastic body (even the top flashes) and there's little to justify the cost of the expensive flashes. You could buy nearly 7 YN24EX flashes for the price of one MT24EX. From what I've read most longer term users of the MT24EX have had problems with this flash, and it's cheaper to get a YN24EX than get it repaired.

So how does the YN24EX perform? The answer is so far very well. In sheer performance terms the YN24EX has been every bit as good as the MT24EX, and the way I use it, it has been even better (the focusing lights are brighter with two different settings). The only technical mark down is that the YN24EX does not do high speed synch, which I've never really used as the long burn flash duration means you lose the motion freezing virtual high speed shutter effect of flash. I've found that I have to sometimes use FEC (flash exposure compensation) with the various flash diffusers I've been using, but this is the same with any flash, and aside from that the exposures seem very reliable once you have got the FEC right. That's more than I can say for the MT24EX and 40D, where the E-TTL was anything but reliable. So far I've used the YN24EX on an 80D, 70D, and 600D without any problems.

I've also had a Yongnuo YN14EX for over 2 years, which I bought just after my MT24EX was declared too uneconomical to repair and it is still working and the only problems I've had with it are that it only works intermittently on the 70D, and not at all on the 80D. But it works fine on my old 40D and 600D. Obviously the problem is the back-engineered interface, and that the 70D and 80D came out after the flash was designed. As I mentioned the focusing lights, which are LEDs are good and bright. With my concave diffusers the light was bright enough than when moth trapping I could use the focusing lights like a torch making it very useful for night time macro photography. You can set it so the focusing lights come on with a dab of the shutter button.

The bracket that comes with YN24EX is larger in diameter than the MT24EX bracket. It attaches to the lens with adapter rings identical to Cokin P filter adapters and therefore can be adapted to a wide range of filter threads, greater than the range which come with the flash. The advantage is the YN24EX bracket lifts the flash heads up higher, and the disadvantage is that the adapter protrudes more below, although it is squared off like the MT24EX bracket to increase clearance. The good news is that the flash heads not only fit the MT24EX bracket, but click into place on it just like the MT24EX heads.

I've been using a version of my concave diffusers (inverted plastic domes), which are actually taken from my MT24EX adapters. They attach to the flash heads with a tube made of off embossed mylar reflective sheet, with self-adhesive velcro tape. The diffusers have a disk of diffuser gel stuck on with super glue (which caused the extra frosting on the inside you can see). I've attached a photo of a shiny subject, a Ladybird to give an impression of the light I can get with this set-up. This one was taken with the Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS lens with a Raynox DCR-250 clipped to the MT24EX bracket.

I still have the MP-E 65mm, but if I am only carrying one macro lens around I take either the EF-S 60mm with a set of extension tubes or the 100mm L with a DCR-250 and MSN-202 with clip on holders. Which I take depends on what I'm shooting. The 100mm L is best for handholding with natural light, and the EF-S 60mm is lighter, plus with an extension tube bridges the gap where a normal macro lens' magnification ends, and the MP-E's magnification begins. It's useful on a crop body where you are photographing say hoverflies but are also likely to encounter butterflies.

Just for the record I have no association with Yongnuo and bought both their flashes myself.

The YN24EX on my Canon 80D, with the 100mm f2.8 L IS lens + Raynox DCR-250 close-up lens attached

Plastic dome of the concave diffuser with an oval of diffuser gel attached

These form the tubes which attach the concave diffuser to the flash head with self-adhesive velcro

A highly reflective Ladybird to demonstrate the degree of light control

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow