Limits Of Print Enlargements Suggested By Large High Res Screen?

Started Jun 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
doug wever
doug wever Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Limits Of Print Enlargements Suggested By Large High Res Screen?

So I'm trying to develop the judgement to be able to see printing limits in advance of printing.  So first I view on a 27" 4K monitor.  I bought an LG 4K with USB-C connect to my MacBook last year, and now have upgraded to the new MacBook Pro.  I hope to bump up to a 32" 5K, but so far 32" as far as I know is only available in 4K along with the USB-C connectivity.

I am pleased with my emerging ability to see on screen printing limits, but I'm certainly not batting anywhere near a thousand.  The resulting image on the wall is 36" across (would need to go a little smaller if it was going to be subject to pixel peeping).  But could of gone larger by shooting RAW at 200 ISO rather than the JPEG 800 ISO it was shot at.

Do you feel a large high res screen is a good place to see your printing limits.  For example,  at full resolution you can see in the high ISO JPEG the ducks are 'smudged' limiting my print to 36" across.

Start With Original Image

Looking at image on 27" LG 4K

Printing pics at some different sizes.

Now able to judge from computer screen how pictures will likely turn out at certain print sizes.

doug wever's gear list:doug wever's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow