A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Scottelly Veteran Member • Posts: 6,845
Re: A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

The a99 Mk 1 is a nice camera. It would bring You EVF if You like that and somewhat higher sensitivity. Also the user interface is more modern. These days, the Mk 1 sells for peanuts. I would think twice about spending serious money on A mount gear since I do not see any future. No new lenses and Sigma is dropping support on Art lenses. The Mk 1 adds functionality for limited money.

Then You would also have money to spare for used Zeiss glass. the 16-35 and 24-70 used would still give You money to spare compared with a new Mk 2 body.

I think You have a nice kit and the Mk 1 is probably the final upgrade for Your old Minolta glass, I don't think You can fully benefit from the resolution of the Mk 2 unless You invest in new glass and for that sort of money E mount is probably the way to go. that said I really appreciate my Mk 1 but i will not sink a lot of money into A mount.

I partially agree with you but not the part about not fully benefitting from the resolution of the a99ii - some of the Minolta G glass is absolutely up to the task of resolving the 42MP, no question.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Yeah, my 24-105mm f3.5-4.5 isn't even G glass, but it produces incredible image quality with my 24 MP APS-C sensor A65, which has a smaller pixel pitch (denser photo-site distribution) than the A99 II, so the A99 II isn't even pushing the good quality Minolta lenses. I find shooting at f6.3 to be about as good as it gets.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Olympus TG-860 Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow