XF50-140 2.8: Another fine Fuji lens, but it could be better

Started Jun 22, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,367
XF50-140 2.8: Another fine Fuji lens, but it could be better

Pros

• High-grade lens construction - finely crafted metal body and weather\dust-sealed
  • 3 nearly inaudible motors focusing this optic extremely quickly on my X-T2
  • Excellent optics! Very sharp at 2.8 and generally seems to love people
  • Distortion or vignetting at all focal lengths and apertures is nearly imperceptible
  • No fringing noticed, nice sun stars, color looks good to me, but I'm mostly colorblind
  • Bokeh as rich and smooth as FF Canikony 70-200 f/2.8 on other APS-C systems
  • Very effective OIS system (5-stops!)
  • 1.4 and 2.0 Teleconverters are available and well-regarded - I tested a 1.4 in the camera shop and was very impressed - I will be adding one of these to the bag!

Cons

• Uncaged OIS makes audible "klonking" noises inside lens if shaken gently
  • No analog distance scales (optional in EVF though), or AF-L buttons near focus ring
  • Complex 23 lens element design causes occasional ghosting or flares. Fortunately, you can see it real-time in the EVF and simply adjust your shot if you don't like the effect.
  • 72mm filter rings means step-up adapters for my 77mm circ-pol and another sized lens-cap to keep track of... It remains to be seen whether the hood will still work with the step-up adapter (on order) and circular polarizer mounted...
  • Unusually large and expensive for a Fuji lens... (though significantly less so than the FF Canikony 70-200 f/2.8 available for competing APS-C systems)
  • Constant low whirring sound when attached to body and powered on, regardless of whether the IS system is active or indeed switched on. Not noticeable in my limited video testing, but it has to be sucking more power than it might otherwise.

Am I happy with it? You bet - My Fuji bag is a third lighter than it was with my Nikon DX DSLR and equivalent lenses, and the silent shutter is far less likely to antagonize my spouse sitting next to me.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +35 more
Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR
Telephoto zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16443060
Announced: Sep 10, 2014
BryceM's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow