My 58 1.4G is dead :(

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
xyglyx
xyglyx Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: My 58 1.4G is dead :(

I'll never forget the day I lost my beloved 58mm 1.4G. The lens and I had just shared an extraordinarily beautiful afternoon, taking pictures of my 6-year-old son at the local zoo. Such glorious photos! Such sweet bokeh!

The day ended in tragedy when, on the way home, I swerved into the opposite lane and collided head-on with a Ford pickup. I admit, being lost in a reverie of reliving the incredible snapshots my lens had just given me, I was not paying as much attention to the road as I should have! My beloved died instantly of a cracked barrel. Oh, my heart! At least I can be thankful it did not suffer long! My son died as well.

Friends, can you imagine the sadness, the desperation the loss of my one and only 58G wrought in me? It had been with me through thick and thin, always bringing nothing but happiness, never tears. It was with me the day my son was born: the doctors implored with me not to bring it into the delivery room -- they said it carried germs -- but I would not be separated from my love. I still remember, clear as day, with what ecstasy I captured every living moment of that event, and how I cradled my baby Nikkor in my arms when it was all over.

The tragedy ultimately proved too much to bear. I purchased three additional copies of the lens a year later. Although I use each of them now, taking the utmost care than nary a scratch mar any one, I know in my heart they're just not the same.

You never forget your first love, and you can never recapture the feelings you had for it. If you have a 58G, I beg you -- love it well! Never take your eyes off it, even for a second!

(The foregoing has been satire. I am on lunch break.)

xyglyx's gear list:xyglyx's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow