Are smart phones killing photography ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
defcomk Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: No

bigley Ling wrote:

defcomk wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Jostian wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Jostian wrote:

MiguelDpr wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Jostian wrote:

just to compare, the difference between mobile phone camera and a DSLR (especially) in lower light situations is where the big difference comes in. Here a crop from my 5DsR at 6400 iso vs my G6 at 1500 iso.

First the G6, actually not bad at 1500 iso.

But the DSLR obliterates it even at 6400 iso. so yes, however convenient mobile phones are for photography they'll never replace a DSLR for serious IQ.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

A silly comparison. Nobody expects a smartphone to look good on close inspection at ISO 1500. If you shot the same scene at base ISO there would be very little difference.

And next time please include the EXIF metadata.

I was just showing IQ from DSLR vs smartphone using a high iso example as that is one of the main areas where the difference is obvious, one of the previous posters made the the assumption that DSLRs are not needed as the IQ is basically equaled by smartphones, I was showing that assumption/notion to be incorrect, maybe you should read the whole thread first before making such nasty comments without reason!

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Nobody has claimed smartphones "equal" a DSLR in all circumstances. Please point me to the foolish post that said that. I did read the whole thread, and my post wasn't "nasty". Pkease calm down.

Hi kungfu, apologies for my harsh reply, my post was more in response to miqueldpr's posts saying that when printing 20 x 16 inch one cannot see the difference between a phone camera and dslr, which I disagree with, which is why I posted my crops between my phone and my dslr.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

???

Jostian, i've never said that.... I wrote "Even for 10x15 print size you don't notice the difference" (10x15 cms. =8x10 inches).

HI Miqueldpr, thought you were talking inches, not cm, as 10x15 cm is really small (only about post card size), so apologies for assuming you meant otherwise. Yes in good light one may not easily see the difference at 10x15 cm size.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

I did some simple post processing on the "smartphone" image and this is the result

smartphone image post processed

It still cannot compete against the likes of a DSLR, but I would say this would be more "printable" than the unprocessed image.

Nice fix yes, not sure what you used but using PS Express can also clean the .dng's up.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

I used topaz for noise reduction and applied some colour adjustments to bring back some of the colour

Maybe the issue with iso that analogue iso stops at iso 800 on most sesnors as well the iso reported is usually half of the actual value so of if it says 1500 it's actually 3000 with 800 of that as actual increase at adc and 2200 in post

Quote possible and if so we should be seeing a notice loss in dr past iso800. Not sure about iso being reported at half the actual value but I say seen the opposite from the very old Lumia 1020 where the selected iso was approx double the actual iso giving the impression of a cleaner output at high isos

.

At the driver level they are define parameters max line count min gain max gain for example on my device min gain is 1 max gain 128 max analog 8

Then the iso multiplier is set to .50 so iso 100 registers as iso 50 for HTC it's .64 . So on my device every reported value is actually half of true gain value I've found mostly xiaomi and zte report actual gain .

Another thing the digital iso/gain is done in the isp even though isp capable of boosting signal after adc dunno if results would be better

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow