Started Dec 19, 2013 | Questions thread
evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,407
Re: Nikon 105 VR Macro - Sigma 150

vinyasa wrote:

evan47 wrote:

vinyasa wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I bought a used Sigma 150 with OS (it was just one month old and I got it for a great price, for 45% of the best selling price here in India). It is sharp and AF is fast. Color rendition is not as good as my Tamron 90mm VC macro. As I also have Nikon AF 60mm F2.8D macro (which is a very sharp lens), I use 150mm only to shoot butterflies. And therefore it works for me. As you said DOF is shallow, but I get nice bokeh with this lens.

Great. Glad you like it. If you get serious about butterflys look at the nikon 300f4 and tc14ii converter. It will give a good sized image of butterflys from 3 1/2 feet away with excellent sharness.

Thank you. I have been using Nikon af-s 70-300mm VR G lens as well. I am sure 300mm f4 will be better. Yes, shooting with tele lenses with teleconverter is another option as minimum focusing distance decreases with the teleconverter. But I haven't tried that. Will try when I have budget

Minimum focus distance does not change when using a converter, it remains the same. However, the image size at minimum focus distance will increase with a converter.

Minimum focus distance will be closer with an extension tube.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow