Laptop purchase advice

Started Jun 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl L Forum Member • Posts: 69
Laptop purchase advice

Hello everyone,

I am a military student with one year to go (specialized in intelligence and military history). In the spring of 2018 I've been given the opportunity to study abroad as part of my curriculum. As such, I will be living abroad for a few months and regularly travel between the US and Europe. Until then I'll be traveling a lot between my apartment, campus and my parents home. 50% of the time I'll be at home at my desktop, otherwise I will be somewhere else.

60% of my work consists of word documents, PowerPoint, excel and reading scanned pdfs.

35% would be dedicated to Lightroom (400gb raw/jpeg library) and 5% (though this will hopefully increase) for newbie swift coding

I've been eyeing the rMBP 15 2017, but it's too pricy! I have never paid that much money for a freaking laptop and I don't think my partner would take kindly to such a purchase. Unfortunately I don't think it's a feasible purchase, though I would have loved the added 2 inches of space.

I've been eyeing the 13 inch 2017 nTB upgraded to 16gb of ram and 512gb ssd and the 2015 rMBP 15 with 512gb ssd discrete graphics.

I previously owned a MacBook as I only needed something small and light at campus since I still had access to my desktop. Now, travel is looking inevitable. The desktop sees minimal usage as I'm barely home these days. Of the aforementioned laptops listed, what would be the feasible choice? Would the 13 inch become too small as a main machine? Is the 15 too dated, big and clumsy, or would the quad core and larger display be worth it? No matter if I study abroad or not I'll still be traveling a lot at home, rendering my desktop obsolete.

Thanks for your feedback!

Karl L's gear list:Karl L's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Apple iPhone SE +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow