Nikon to another brand? Or to keep?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
msjhaffey Senior Member • Posts: 1,391
Nikon to another brand? Or to keep?

Not for fanboy comment please, on any side of this discussion.

I've been on Nikon DSLRs for 10 years:

• D300 in 2007
  • D700 in 2010
  • D800 in 2012

and a number of lenses.  I sold my D300 a few years ago: last year my D800 (and 24-70 lens) were stolen.  So at present I have the D700 and a 28-300 lens.  I've been a very happy Nikon owner.

I've been hankering after the 70-200.  I've rented the previous model a couple of times for weddings and it was good.  The new model looks excellent, but its price is eye-watering.

However ...

... I was in a local retail shop (John Lewis in the UK) the other day and noticed that the Canon 70-200 is about 25% cheaper than the Nikon.  That's a huge part of my budget.  The Canon 24-70 is also cheaper, although the difference is not as marked.

And it's made me think: I very much like Nikon but am I paying over the odds?  Should I be replacing my stolen D800 with a 5D Mk4?

Or would this be a foolish leap in the dark?

I understand there can be strong emotions here but, leaving them aside, what do you see as the factual differences between the brands?  Or should I be looking at something completely different?

I use my camera 70% for portrait/wedding, 30% for landscape or similar.  And I want to stay FX.

-- hide signature --

Sean

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow