A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DivineMadcat New Member • Posts: 22
A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

So.. i am hoping that some current A99 II users will be able to give some guidance on my upgrade prospects..

Since early 2009 i have been shooting an A900 with a variety of glass (all my gear it listed in my profile), most of it older Minolta AF glass (but in great condition, with some real gems like the 100mm F2).  I genuinely feel i have done well with it, as i have alot of framed prints that i love from it (including ones i have sold on the side). However, 8+ years of shooting, i do feel like it is getting a bit long in the tooth, and i am running up against its flaws.  I love wildlife and action shooting, and the A900's AF and 5FPS sure feel like they are showing their age now. Landscape of course holds up ok, but i lament having trouble keeping up with fast paces.

My eyes were really opened when i scored a deal on a A6000 kit; for being a "base" model, i was blown away at how much better the AF was (and that 11FPS shutter), and just seeing images that i feel exceed my old flagship camera. So of course, once i had bitten into this apple, i was left wanting more, and craving the top end camera for professional quality (i have a goal of being able to at least start a side business for photography... i know, dream on).

Ok, so it sounds great, buy whats my quandary?  Well, i read about all these great features the A99ii has (eye tracking, etc), but how only some of them apply to Sony lenses. I have good (or even great) glass, but its older glass, and none of it is SSM. My real fear is, if i have to get new glass to get the best features, should i even stick with the A99, or should i go A7RII (or III) and really feel the pinch.  I know that i have no way that i can afford replacing my 85mm, 80-200, or 300mm f2.8.. i would really be only one or two E mount lenses.

So collective minds, what say ye?  Given what i have, is the leap to a MkII worth it?

DivineMadcat's gear list:DivineMadcat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +9 more
Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow