A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

Started Jun 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DivineMadcat Junior Member • Posts: 25
A900 user considering an A99II - will my glass hold it back?

So.. i am hoping that some current A99 II users will be able to give some guidance on my upgrade prospects..

Since early 2009 i have been shooting an A900 with a variety of glass (all my gear it listed in my profile), most of it older Minolta AF glass (but in great condition, with some real gems like the 100mm F2).  I genuinely feel i have done well with it, as i have alot of framed prints that i love from it (including ones i have sold on the side). However, 8+ years of shooting, i do feel like it is getting a bit long in the tooth, and i am running up against its flaws.  I love wildlife and action shooting, and the A900's AF and 5FPS sure feel like they are showing their age now. Landscape of course holds up ok, but i lament having trouble keeping up with fast paces.

My eyes were really opened when i scored a deal on a A6000 kit; for being a "base" model, i was blown away at how much better the AF was (and that 11FPS shutter), and just seeing images that i feel exceed my old flagship camera. So of course, once i had bitten into this apple, i was left wanting more, and craving the top end camera for professional quality (i have a goal of being able to at least start a side business for photography... i know, dream on).

Ok, so it sounds great, buy whats my quandary?  Well, i read about all these great features the A99ii has (eye tracking, etc), but how only some of them apply to Sony lenses. I have good (or even great) glass, but its older glass, and none of it is SSM. My real fear is, if i have to get new glass to get the best features, should i even stick with the A99, or should i go A7RII (or III) and really feel the pinch.  I know that i have no way that i can afford replacing my 85mm, 80-200, or 300mm f2.8.. i would really be only one or two E mount lenses.

So collective minds, what say ye?  Given what i have, is the leap to a MkII worth it?

DivineMadcat's gear list:DivineMadcat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +9 more
Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
EXX
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow