Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing, which usually results in RAW files that are flat and have low contrast because i then have more room for corrections in the raw converter and later on in Photoshop. I then save all those RAW files on my hard disk and on two backup drives and wait for proper inspiration to create something really special out of them .... but i never look at them or even show them because they look boring straight out of the cam.

Some weeks ago i noticed that i kind of lost my inspiration and photography somehow was not as much fun anymore as it used to be. I also realized that i now have a backlog of more than 1000 images waiting for future editing and that i was getting more and moreĀ  sloppy regarding exposure and compositionĀ  because i could easily fix this in LR and PS.
The reason is that i somehow forgot that photography used to be about getting it right from the start.

Me and some photo friends had planned a photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models in May and our goal was to take images that could only have been shot on this island, i.e. no portraits with blurred background, no bikini shots on a beach that could be everywhere ....

I decided to add another challenge for myself: I had to shoot one image of every set as an ooc JPG, either using normal JPG settings or an Art Filter that would add to the mood i wanted to create. I would also shoot additional images for future postprocessing but at the end of each day i wanted to have at least one picture of each model and set copied to my iPad and ready to show at dinner.

On the first days i was a bit stressed, worried about very hard light and i had to correct exposure and perspective a lot but during the week i was there i was having more and more fun with my ooc JPGs. The girls were happy too (i was the only one mailing them images on thee same day) and nobody ever pointed out noise, blown out highlights and other imperfections.

Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?

Images are in the post below to allow for loading .... enjoy

-- hide signature --

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow