A77 Sigma 18-250 3.5-6.3, Any Teleconverter experience

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GinAZ Junior Member • Posts: 33
A77 Sigma 18-250 3.5-6.3, Any Teleconverter experience

I currently carry 3 cameras. My A77, a Sony DSC-HX100V (16.2 Megapixels, Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T F2.8-5.6, 35mm equivalent still 16:9: 29-870mm), and a Fuji W3 for 3D. I also have a Sony 16-50 2.8 lens.

I do not specialize in bird photography or sports. I just would like a long reach for those occasions when the subject is very far away while hiking or on a cruise excursion without being loaded down with the DSC-HX100V in addition to the A77. (I do have an Op/Tech dual harness which works good but two cameras are a little heavy and awkward.)

I have searched for info a couple days and understand all the arguments for a long reach lens. I know I'll never carry another lens weighing in at 4 to 5 pounds and the price breaks the budget. I know all the arguments against a teleconverter. I used one occasionally back when I was taking slides before digital cameras. I'm just starting to use Lightroom and Photoshop. I currently take JPG and RAW formats.

My goal is to not carry my HX100V but have the option of using a teleconverter in appropriate situations with the Sigma lens at 250 mm (lots of light, far away subject). I prefer AF as an option but manual focus is not a problem.

The Bower SX7DGS 2x Teleconverter for Sony (7 Element) seems to be the only one I've found that is a reasonable option although it is not recommended greater than F4.0.

I'm asking for recommendations for a teleconverter that will work with the A77, Sigma 18-250, and of course there is always a trade-off between quality and price. First hand experiences? Recommendations? (last resort would be a pocket superzoom but that would break the budget and again, 3 cameras with the assortment of chargers).

Thanks for any positive recommendations.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow