Difficulties Shooting in Art Museums-Do I Need A New Lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erunegal New Member • Posts: 6
Difficulties Shooting in Art Museums-Do I Need A New Lens?

Amateur photographer here who's just beginning a small project of photographing European Medieval, Old Master, and Impressionist paintings in major art museums for personal archiving/enjoyment purposes.  A few months ago I decided to start off the project by using a Nikon D3300 with the kit lens to see how things will go.

After two months time, I can say that when the lighting is sufficient, the results are good to great. However, when the lighting is dimmed if not almost darkened, the results are...less than stellar, especially since all museums ban flash photography.  Unfortunately, this has meant that most of the times, I was shooting under significant to severe low light conditions, especially for many of my most favorite paintings. I have tried to compensate that by hiking up the ISO values, but I notice past 1600 or so the pictures begin to lose acuity and become grainier, something that was unacceptable for my standards of a personal archive. I have also tried to shoot at different angles, but for most exhibits it is for nought due to the way they lower the lights in the entire exhibit.  Are there any additional strategies I can use to compensate for low light, none flash photography in those art museums? Or do I have to get a new lens (not preferable but would consider if price is less than $200)? Again, I am currently using the default Nikon D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow