NEX-6: Camera Error, Turn Off, Turn On. I Might Have Fixed It.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
NEX-6: Camera Error, Turn Off, Turn On. I Might Have Fixed It.

I have an NEX-6 camera that had developed the dreaded "Camera Error: Turn Camera Off, Then Turn Camera Back On" defect.

At first, the message would only come up once or maybe twice before the camera would settle into its proper dependable working mode, then I'd have to turn the camera off and on again 6-8 or 10 times, and I retired the camera when it just wouldn't ever work properly. There didn't seem to be a known cure for this problem and the camera has been sitting in a drawer since the a6300 came out.

I happened upon a YouTube video that said the problem might be the magnet that controls the shutter had become dislodged and then went on to do a long involved teardown and rebuild. Way over my head.

The guy said in passing that his way was better than "just banging the camera down on a solid surface." I've been thinking about that comment for a couple of weeks and decided I really didn't have much to lose, as the camera was dead anyway. So I took the camera body out to the back deck and slammed the bottom of it down on a very sturdy bench. Then I did it once more for good measure.

Well, guess what? It seems to have worked. According to what I saw in the video, the magnet seems to have been moved back to its proper location and the camera seems to be working just fine. There is no apparent damage to the camera body, all the controls, and the LCD are working properly. I'm only a dozen or so pictures into this, but so far, so good.

My NEX-6 gone from paperweight to functioning camera. My fingers are crossed this fix is permanent, or at least repeatable.

-- hide signature --

It's always about the experience, not the equipment.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +13 more
Sony a6300 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow