Wildlife lens for D500

Started 5 days ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 4,627
Wildlife lens for D500

Hi guys,

I'm selling my beloved Sigma 500/4.5 (Pentax) and moving for D500. After collecting tons of static bird images couple years ago I started looking mostly for action birding opportunities

From time to time I was able to get some keepers. However, AF tracking never worked well with Pentax bodies. And I shoot mostly hand held. My pivoting point was when I failed miserably shooting a Family of Peregrine Falcons getting a prey and transferring it in the air from one to another a few times right in front of me. To be fair not all of the Nikon/Canon shooters got it too :-).

Shooting 500mm prime for the last five years, I have no experience with long zooms. I understand that in general prime is always superior. So, my initial plans were to get D500 and latest Sigma 500/4 (performance is very similar to the newest Nikkor 500/4E). However, what about recent 150-600 offerings from Tamron and Sigma? Nikkor 200-400/4 seems a bit short and 200-500/5.6 is suspiciously cheap. Are they worth shooting after extensive prime experience? As a 2nd body I usually use Pentax FF K-1 with 150-450/4.5-5.6 zoom, but the whole rig weights almost the same as my main APS-C K-3+500/4.5. So, I decided to give more thinking to my main D500 based rig. I would really appreciate professional and friendly advice here.

Thank you in advance,

SG

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow