Upgrade from a Sony A850...A7RII (e-mount) or A99II (a-mount)?

Started Jun 7, 2017 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cormierphoto Forum Member • Posts: 73
Upgrade from a Sony A850...A7RII (e-mount) or A99II (a-mount)?

So the time has come to start looking for a new full frame. I was not particularly ever considering an upgrade for a while, especially since Sony was going E-mount the whole way for years. Eventually I will need to switch, I told to myself, but then comes the A99 II which blew me away and surprised me as a new A-mount full frame that took care of a lot of concerns.

I have an A850 that has served me well over the years, and a healthy collection of great glass (Sony 85mm 1.4 ZA, 135mm 1.8 ZA, 50mm 1.4). also have a few others such as a Tamron 17-50mm that I use on my A200 as a spare (when travelling in sketchy areas).

I am heavily leaning towards the A99 II, but I feel I might be crippling myself for the future, and not being able to have access to newer E-mount lens (could go Canon lens + adapter I guess?). I also like the smaller size of the Sony A7R II, less distracting when travelling. Of course, I would need to use an adapter, but would have access to newer more future ready equipment. I mostly do model, engagement, boudoir photos semi-professionally.

Who here has made the change one way or another, and why? Has others just stayed with their A850 / A900 and what was the reasoning? Did you see a big difference in image quality and dynamic range, especially if using one of the mentioned Zeiss lens?

Hard to justify a 4000 CAD purchase to my wife :).

cormierphoto's gear list:cormierphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7R II Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow