Sony & The “Star Eater” problem

Started May 24, 2017 | Discussions thread
Navman Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: STAR EATER - HOW BAD REALLY IS IT ???

I've just carried out what I regard as a reasonably robust quantification of the effect of Sony's star-eater algorithm on an A7RII, as follows:

1. Take two sets of ten images of the same set of the Milky Way, exposed a minute or so apart, and with the first set exposed using 3.2 second exposures (no star-eater) and the second set exposed using 4 second exposures (with star-eater);

2. Separately load each set of images into DeepSkyStacker as raw files, setting the raw-read brightness setting in DSS to compensate for the difference in exposure, i.e., to 4.0 for the 4 second exposures, and to 4.8 for the 3.2 second exposures.  That is the 20% increase in read brightness for the 3.2 second exposures compensates for their 20% shorter exposure compared to the 4 second exposures.

3. Set the star detection threshold to 90%, register each set, and calculate the average number of stars detected.

4. The results:
     - average number of stars for the 3.2 second set - 640.3;
    - average number of stars for the 4.0 second set - 472.8;

5. The conclusion: Sony star-eater reduces the number of detectable stars in this equivalent images by 167 or by about 26%.

It's time for a solution, Mr Sony!

-John

Navman's gear list:Navman's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
CE3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow