traded Pentax 645z for Hasselblad X1d

Started Jun 2, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
darellmatt New Member • Posts: 8
traded Pentax 645z for Hasselblad X1d

Well it finally arrived. My order was placed in November, 2016 through adorama,  and though I recieved the 90mm lens and the 30mm lens back in March, I had no camera until 2 days ago when the much anticipated box arrived.

I have been shooting mostly "walking around" photos which is my main shooting style anyway. To be clear I am a hobbyist, not a professional, but I have been an image quality freak from day one, and I like to display my work as large glossy metal prints up to 30 by 40. So 50 megapixels is my happy spot.  I just like the way images from bigger sensors look.

To be brief, I am completely happy I made the change, although I admit that I miss my Pentax mostly because it was a "geeks dream" camera. All those dedicated buttons!  And the Pentax has one of the most satisfying mechanical shutter sounds on the planet, to my ear. So there was nothing wrong with it... except the weight. I took the Pentax on my last trip to Maui, and lugged it along with a carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod up some volcanic trail for landscape shots. Way too much work for what I got, and not enough fun to really qualify as hobby activity.

So compared to that the X1D is a sexy Swedish wisp of a camera, all sleek and svelte. I haven't even bought a strap for it yet, the grip is so naturally ergonomic I walked around with it for an hour without any muscle fatigue.

And the files! That je ne sais qua color rendition, the way images look kind of 3 dimensional.  I am totally hooked. I was never unhappy with what came out of my Pentax, at the time, but these files are immediately recognizeable as more appealing out of the camera. Maybe someone could come up with a photoshop filter that would turn a pentax file into and X1D clone image,  but maybe not. Maybe some of the secret sauce is in the microcontrast of the hasselblad lenses. Who knows, I'm sure I don't.

There will be haters and nit pickers who will be unhappy the X1d doesn't have exposure bracketing, or feel the shutter sound is too loud, or some other technical shortcoming. It's not hard to find technical reviews that will give you the skinny on what this camera will, and will not do. No problem. Don't get one if you don't want one.

But for me, I have never waited 6 months for a camera before. And at the end of the day, all I can say is, "worth it".

darellmatt's gear list:darellmatt's gear list
Hasselblad X1D
Hasselblad X1D Pentax 645Z
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow