Sony Alpha A5100 successor? A5200? A5300? A5500?

Started May 31, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Rebeska New Member • Posts: 10
Re: A great mystery to me

caterpillar wrote:

This is one of the mysteries with Sony. The advantages of a fully articulating screen like with Panasonic or Canon is obvious. Why they persist with their methods mystifies me. Even worse, they sometimes regress even with their own screens. For example, 3 years ago, I bought a nex-5t, it's screen could do a selfie flip and it can dip down. When the a5100 came out, the screen lost the ability to tilt down. Now you can lift your camera overhead and see what it is seeing!

Another thing is that the nex-5t's touch screen operates not just in focusing but also in the menus. The only bad thing about the nex-5t is they didn't use a capacitive touch screen, so response was clunky. So, this has already shown they can do a touch screen and if they only put in the good parts, it should work like any cell phones. They do make cell phones so, this thing should really not be a mystery!

I don't think they'll put in more function buttons and keys in the future a5100. They would leave that to the more advanced models.

Sometimes, I wonder if they are doing a Canon - meaning they purposely not put in the most commonsensical improvements that is not really protected by patents or a limit in technology.

Agree. Sony makes strange decisions. One would think that Sony should have been the camera maker with touchscreen on all cameras. Instead, Panasonic and Canon seem to have more of this.

Apart from the fact that Canon is holding back 4K, I think their choice suits me better. More articulating screens and microphone input even on entry-level models.

Many seem angry at Canon not to offer 4K but at the same time, 4K seems to create problems at the present time. Panasonic seems to have least problems, maybe for smaller sensors and larger houses? The new GX800/GX850 has exactly the same problem as Sony's 4K cameras namely heat problems. 4K seems unfinished and I think that's why Canon may be awaiting.

If you want true 4K without heat problems, you might want to choose a camcorder or any large system camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow