Sony Alpha A5100 successor? A5200? A5300? A5500?

Started May 31, 2017 | Discussions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Most likely not this year

Rebeska wrote:

I wonder if there will be any successor to the Sony Alpha A5100. I hope so anyway. It was a very popular entry model for several reasons.

There will be. There's lots of room for improvement.  I very much doubt if it will be soon however.

I hope the successor gets microphone input, 4K, maybe built-in stabilization in the house and some solution to the overheating.

Mic input has almost zero chance.  It might have that mic input if they will make it a bloggers camera. 4k maybe though overheating may be an issue. I very much doubt if it will be IBIS. Not until 2 more versions.

I doubt they will solve the overheating problem because they did not solve it on the A6500. You can still keep on shooting despite the heat warning, but it does not feel good.

A little afraid it would not get microphone input either. It needs it to compete with the Canon EOS M6.

What's on your wish list? Do you think we'll see a successor?

I want to choose Sony in front of Canon because of better AF system, 4K and the range of lenses. At the same time, I do not want to have any problems with overheating or losing microphone input.

My guesses:

- It will have the AF of the a6300.

- I will have a flip screen and for selfie use. It will also have no EVF like before.

- LCD hopefully increases in resolution.

- Hopefully touch screen will be implemented in the menus as well.

- 4k video but either cropped or they will limit the time for one to shoot (eg. 10-15min).

- wifi and nfc.

- 120fps in FHD

- The rest of what the a5100 is retained.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow