How are stitched images shot?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl L Forum Member • Posts: 59
How are stitched images shot?

Hello everybody,

Picture a scenario where you're out on a stroll with your trusty camera and nifty fifty. As you approach the coast you notice the sunset and blood orange sky. Straight ahead there's a small, calm beach. To your right there's a pier with a few fishing boats. To your left a couple of large rocks cast some amazing shadows.

With the 50 you can either capture the beach, the pier or the rocks. The separate images just don't look as good as a wider lens would be, say 16mm. Instead you decide to take 3 shots and stitch them together, the question is, how do you do it?

Would you stand still at the same spot, take a shot straight ahead, then from the same spot look to your right and take a shot and then look to your left and take a shot? My concern with this approach is that the left and right images would be at an angle compared to the one straight ahead.

Option two, take the photo straight ahead, then take the necessary amount of steps to your right to take the right shot straight ahead, effectively removing any downsides from an angled shot, but running the risk of the right shot being taken at a difference distance from the first shot. Repeat the process for the left image.

Whats the best way to take wider images with a longer range lens? Are any of the above methods used, or is there a better way? Searching mostly gave me results relating to stitching in software, but I'm interested how the actual stitched shots are taken, this is btw for landscape shots.

Thanks!

Karl L's gear list:Karl L's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-T1 Apple iPhone SE +2 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow