Full-Time Photographers: How many of you don't do crazy photo manipulation in PS?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jameszhan
jameszhan Regular Member • Posts: 122
Full-Time Photographers: How many of you don't do crazy photo manipulation in PS?

I have been watching some Photoshop tutorials and it is insane how they transform photos. They add things, change things, remove things etc, and in the final image it's almost 80% fake (but looks real of course). It seems to me that as long as you nail the focus, pose and lighting, everything else can be fixed/enhanced afterwards.

My question is that how many of you who make a living out of photography don't do crazy Photoshop in post? I'm asking because I'm wondering if this (I'm referring to advanced Photoshop techniques, not just basic adjustments and cloning etc) is a necessary skill as a modern photographer, or is it just something that is popular only on Instagram and YouTube?

I'm mostly referring to all kinds of portraits and landscape photography; I'm guessing that in photojournalism post is less important because having worked in a newspaper office, I know getting the photos out is almost the most important.

-- hide signature --

-_- is the face I make when people assume I'm a newbie because I have an APS-C camera.
Photography is my art, my craft. View my works in my gallery!

jameszhan's gear list:jameszhan's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow