Flashing Error Code E:91:01 or E91:01 on RX100m3

Started May 28, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roquet New Member • Posts: 4
Flashing Error Code E:91:01 or E91:01 on RX100m3

I was very frustrated to get the E:91:01 error message while travelling last weekend. It flashes constantly on the LCD screen and is really distracting. Despite the error message, my RX100m3 seemed to be functioning normally but while taking some important pictures of a trophy presentation I noticed that the fill-flash hadn’t operated. Later after some googling I found (https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31092) that the E91:01 indicates an “Issue of the flash unit part, battery recognition, etc.”, and that makes sense because now the flash no longer works at all, and shutter is inoperable if flash is required. To troubleshoot I tried the Initialize and Camera Setting Reset first, then did the firmware update to 2.0, but error message is still flashing. NOTE TO RX100 owners….In going to v2.0 I have noticed improvement in the laggy interface, for example in Scene Mode switching from macro to action to landscape is noticeably smoother, On/Off cycle time is improved too, so if you are still on v1.1 or 1.2 then do update to 2.0! I wish I had done this sooner.

Advice to prospective purchasers of Sony cameras… spend the extra$ to get extended warranty. Note that customer-centric retailers with liberal return policies like Costco no longer sell Sony cameras. My error code appeared after 25 months of use.

Advice to prospective RX100 purchasers… I love the picture quality, especially in low light) of my M3, and bought it in spite of the poopy zoom because it was one of the few true pocket-ables that had both good viewfinder(EVF) and onboard flash. Now after using it for 2 years I find that I hardly ever used the EVF and the flash was too under-powered (only good to 3 feet or so).

Sadly I am again in the market for a new pocketable / belt-holster-able good quality camera with a decent zoom range… Panasonic seems to be the likely winner at this point. Please reply if you have RX100 replacement suggestion. I would love to hear from someone who had E:91:01 error and sent their camera to sony for repair... How much did it cost?

Canon EOS M3 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow