Which full frame lenses are missing?

Started May 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
Benna78 Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: 35/2

SilvanBromide wrote:

Benna78 wrote:

I think the point is Sony is developing many high quality expensive lenses, but mostly lacks a standard line of affordable ones. For me, taking also in account the almost non existent second hand market and no third party alternatives (Fe mount and AF) that's a problem. If we look at Canon and Nikon, they offer top quality line super fast primes (35 1.4, 50 1.2, 24 1.4, etc) , fast pro zoom but also slower good quality alternatives (Nikon has the 1.8 serie, Canon has 35f2 24 2.8, For example). And you have sigma and tamron, and a second hand Canon 24-105L can be found at 500 Euros, same For a 70-200 f4L...not to mention the fact that a 35 f2 or a 24 2.8 can be small.

Point taken.

By way of some minor quibbles, I've bought several second-hand FE lenses, so I don't think it's true that the s/h market is non-existent, though it may not be as busy as it is for some of the more established lens mounts/system. And there are third-party offerings from several sources (e.g. I own one from Samyang and another from Zeiss) and it's likely that there will be others available soon (notably Sigma) - but you're right that the 3p alternatives are few ATM.

It's true that Sony has brought quite a few high end lenses to market, and that's no doubt part of a deliberate strategy on their part to position the system as a serious and pro-level offering. But they have been adding more affordable FA lenses at a fair pace too, including the 50mm f1.8, the 50mm f2.8 Macro and the 85mm f1.8 recently. So it is happening.

I guess my own perspective is coming primarily from a desire to see gaps in the line-up filled, with more affordabie options as a secondary concern - but I do understand that others have a different take, and that's legitimate...

I got your point too, and if course, from my amatour/hobbist perspective I have different desires. Surely, with time, the s/h market will expand,  as well as the 3rd party offers. And as Sony showed also some "budget" alternatives (28-50-50m-85) probably we'll see some more in the future, at least now that the most evident gaps are being filled.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Voe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow