Is the 32 f/1.2 worth the price?

Started May 23, 2017 | Questions thread
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,385
Re: Is the 32 f/1.2 worth the price?

For my J5 I picked black finish because I find it better matching the rather large black hood, which is the only option for both lens finishes.

As to the lens itself, I love having it for several reasons. First, it is my favourite focal length, and second I appreciate versatility of a fast prime. I deliberately bypassed all other lens options in favour of this one plus the 6-13. So far I don't have any regrets with my choice. I do want to add 70-300 at some point to complete my "holly trinity" for CX format.

Having said that, I admit that bokeh-wise this lens falls far behind my 85 1.4D mounted on D300 wide open. Except maybe for CA which is rather bad on both of them luckily easily corrected even in NX-D. But this is the limitation of a small sensor system overall which is something we have to accept as trade-off for ultra compactness of such system comparing to FF or even APSC. I suspect 70-300 might beat this lens in subject isolation, which is another reason I want to add it to my system.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
55T
55T
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow