Still loving this blast-to-the-past 5D

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
txsizzler
OP txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
Re: And yet another shot!...why fast wide angle?

whvick wrote:

txsizzler wrote:

makofoto wrote:

Yes! ... nice.

May I ask which F/stop ... ie. not wide open right?

I tried out three 11/16's ... thank you B&H ... before finding one that was evenly unsharp around the edges at 2.8. The first two were soft on one side and sharp on the other side. The third one was evenly slightly soft all around the edges. At 4.0 is was OK.

Of course the thing is, there are no other 2.8 lenses like this ... at least a couple of years ago.

I used f/5 on that shot. There is some softness on the sides (if you look real hard, you can see it in my photo as well), but it is not bad at all. The Tokina represents a great value in the 14-16mm ranges (especially 15-16mm) on Canon FF. And yes, you are correct that for the money, there are no other UWA's at f/2.8 that fill this niche, at this price for Canon FF.

dumb question:

why do we need f/2.8 wide angle....don't we want more DOF in wide angle shots.

I doubt that you can tell the difference in most f/2.8 vs f/5.0 shots. True of false?

It's all about light with UWA and fast apertures.

txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow