A couple fog shots at Golden Gate Bridge

Started May 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,752
Re: SF Fog

mreynolds767 wrote:

Thanks Brian, followed you back! New to IG but seems to be where everyone is these days (I am late to the party once again)

Appreciate the feedback, has taken some experimenting but think I finally have a general workflow down though it definitely varies per picture.

Figuring out what I want to do with the Raw file is the most important and most time consuming. Basically process with a end goal in mind in LR using multiple virtual copies made and processed differently for various parts of an image and then bringing them into PS (as Smart Objects when possible) and merging them either by hand or with a selection method.

I often do things to give highlights or everything a bit of a glow (orton and directly enhancing with color). Usually I boost the contrast in the midtones via a luminosity mask as well.

Have a many month backlog of new photos to still process so my website is still rather incomplete and my IG page even moreso but will get up to speed one of these days.

I just joined IG recently as well. Late to flickr, late to IG, late to photography (well going on almost two years now).

Thanks for the tips on the work flow. I think I need to watch videos on smart objects, I have never done those.

I start in LR for the basics and then move to PS and do a lot of selective things. I tinker with Topaz clarity as well at times and apply it selectively. I also tinker with Raya Pro a bit. Still it is a constant learning curve but the good thing is there are hundreds of youtube videos to learn things from.

Looking forward to seeing your new work once you have gone through some of them!

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow