A couple fog shots at Golden Gate Bridge

Started May 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: SF Fog

pixseal wrote:

-

Note: I am not a meteorologist, not do I play one on TV However, I have lived my (almost) entire life in the SF Bay Area.

The SF Bay Area fog is a unique phenomenon. The ocean off shore is a nearly constant 50F year-round, but inland (40-50 miles) afternoon temps often reach into the 90s and 100s. The heated inland air rises and draws in the cool marine air (sometimes at a speed greater than 25 mph!). This fog flow usually starts in the afternoon and continues into early evening. By morning the fog starts to "burn" off. This an all-summer thing.

Depending on the conditions near the coast, the fog deck may be at ground (sea) level or several hundred feet. The fog may be a few hundred feet thick, or 3,000 feet thick. The fog may linger just off-coast, or it may extend 30 miles inland.

The Golden Gate is the only sea-level path for the marine air to flow inland; north and south of the Golden Gate the mountains range from 1,000 to 3,000 feet high, blocking much of the marine air. Many afternoons the marine air flows over the ridges, resulting in a "fog cascade". See my video, shot 10 miles south of SF near Crystal Springs Lake: http://pixseal.com/2013/2013fortbaker/mvi_0730.mp4 (the video is 10x).

Thank you, Pixseal! Nice video as well, I know exactly where that is.  I appreciate the explanation.    Yeah, several times I have gone where the fog belt was above the bridge, looks cool and all but without a reference point is not much of a photo.   Mt. Tam is a popular place for capturing the fog as well but that is even further and they have restricted hours (though some people do not abide).   I am hoping next time I am there the fog will be around well before sunrise.

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow