Sekonic Speedmaster L-858D - HSS Capable Light Meter

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Discussions thread
Alfonso Bresciani
Alfonso Bresciani Senior Member • Posts: 1,795
Re: Sekonic Speedmaster L-858D - HSS Capable Light Meter

well you're telling the strobe that you shooting at a HSS, by setting the strobe in HSS but if the camera is not firing i guess the strobe 'does not knowhow to synch it" does that make sense at all?

Does the profoto B1 on HSS use different burst rates ad different HSS shutter speeds?

Michael Gebauer wrote:

I think that this is not an issue Sekonic can solve. If you think through, you will come to the same conclusion as I did when testing it: the flash simply doesn't know to use HSS, if the camera doesn't transmit the shutter speed to the flash.

Kind regards
Michael

Alfonso Bresciani wrote:

I was just told by Sekonic to do that as well, today. So If i shoot and fire the strobe with the camera ( Canon 5DIII) Profoto B1 in HSS, the meters work. It's a pain in the butt to fire a shot every time though, imagine you have the camera on a tripod you need an assistant to hold the meter and fire the strobe with the camera. Of course when not in HSS I can just use the test button on the Profoto Air Remote.

I use the new Sekonic with a Godox AD600B controlled by a X1N. The HSS feature works well. Tested it with my Nikon D800 up to 1/8000 sec.

For a proper measuring I just had to initiate the flash through the camera itself. The HSS measuring didn't work when I initiated the flash with the test button on the X1N.

Test with Nikon D800 1/6500s after having received the Sekonic. Just ddialed in the measurement of the Sekonic to check, whether it works.

Kind regards

Michael

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow