Rick Knepper wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Ji

Well, if mid-tone noise is the type that shows up in bright skies, it could be a problem.

With modern cameras, I have never had to reduce noise in blue skies in post, although that is very easy to do. I have infrequently added noise to blue skies to get visually smoother transitions with imperfect printers.

Do you ever do deep crops? By deep crops, I mean a 3600x2160 crop at 100%. You'll see some noise then.

Printed how big?

I haven't printed to paper since 2005 (not sure if I even know how to conjugate the word) so I do not know how to answer this.

How do you reach your audience?

I have an intended audience of one: myself. I put my images on Flickr but only as an archive with comments to myself about the location since I forget the exact location of many of these.

In that case, the only person who can say whether the noise in any situation is acceptable is you.

This goes without saying. But, a technical discussion about what noise and dynamic range actually is may influence what is acceptable to me going forward.

Backing up a bit, I think we are forever destined to have trouble communicating about image quality. I think of photography as a communications medium. I can't imagine making images and not sharing, trading, exhibiting, or selling them. I think I'd give up photography if you told me that I was the only person who would view my work.

Backing up a bit further. All I did was tell the OP what advantages I derive from medium format. The conversation has now worked its way into a criticism of my reasons for taking photos which is fine.

Rick, I'm not criticizing you at all. My motivations for making photographs are different from yours. For me, if it doesn't affect the final product, it's unimportant. That doesn't mean that I won't obsess over making some correction that I can see in the print that my clients won't. But if I can only see some potential defect with the image blown way up on my display, I'm not gonna worry about it.

So my definition of too much noise has to be different from yours, and I can't judge how much noise is too much for you.

Just to be clear b/c I fear the point has been lost: I have or am currently shooting Nikon/Pentax/Fuji b/c I feel the noise characteristics are acceptable.

Sorry, I thought after we worked through the various issues, that you were saying that the MF cameras had better mid-tone noise than the FF ones. I was trying to discover if that's relevant to your photography. Sounds like there is nothing further to discuss here.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow