5DIII + 100-400 IS f/4.5-5.6 and 7DII + 70-200 IS II f/2.8 Shooting Scenario Question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 7,131
Re: 5DIII + 100-400 IS f/4.5-5.6 and 7DII + 70-200 IS II f/2.8 Shooting Scenario Question

ScooterShooter wrote:

TXDego wrote:

Learned a long time ago, any lens with aperture smaller than f2.8 just does not work for shooting sports after 4pm, does not matter if field is lite up like a Christmas tree or not.

the dynamic range on the 7dmkii that's listed in your sig file is down by two and a half stops at base iso, vs. modern ff cameras, see below.

I have found the same thing, though perhaps with a more sensitive body I would have more success.

the d.r. curve on your d610 is outstanding, it's better than a d810, and better than all of the canon sensors that are on the market today... i don't know if it's iso invariant, but you should be in good shape.

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%207D%20Mark%20II,Nikon%20D610,Sony%20ILCE-7R

ScooterShooter wrote:

Here is one from the sideline, with pretty poor lighting:

that last shot has blown-out highlights, and the shutter speed is too slow, so i wonder if there are things you can do with your technique, to improve the p.q.... for instance, shoot raw in dark conditions, use something like dxo prime noise reduction, and take advantage of iso invariance, if possible.

i experimented with the latter here; 7:37 a.m. on a cloudy september morning, shot at iso100:

-- hide signature --

dan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow